Saturday, 18 August 2012

Gongguan


I had an incessant urge to roam outside today. I packed my bag and set out for the afternoon deciding to skip the MRT and go as far as I felt like by walking. I had a vague recollection of where I was going and headed with the intention of reaching Gongguan market, which is my favorite place to shop for clothing.



I eventually found it, after a few twists and turns, and was surprised at how close it was to me! I walked farther than expected and stopped for lunch at a little place called Taco2Go. I was able to get A&W root beer, which amazed me and some nacho chips on the side. I chatted with the guy running the place, and he gave me tips on where to go surfing around Taipei. Surfing has now moved up on my list of things to do, turns out I’m only an hour away to some really great spots along the coast!





After lunch I wandered around and saw some really neat stores. There’s a pizza fire burning hut which I hear is delicious, and a little cookie place ran by an America man named TJ who runs his business with the same guidelines he uses for his romantic relationships. I wish I could have talked to him more but my mouth was stuffed with sampling the freshly baked cookies.




After a couple hours of walking I started to get tired. I almost gave in and took the Metro home, but I was saved by noticing the landmarks that have come to be associated with where I live. I was quite proud that I was able to find it by myself. Now that I’ve lived here for 2 months the directions are starting to stick!   

Gon

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! Your family loves A & W rootbeer!!!!! While Ben was in France, that was the one thing he told me he missed, so I boxed up two cans and sent it! Most expensive parcel of my life!!!!! Keep writing about your experiences I love it!!! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete