Thursday, 16 August 2012

Reading


Well my friends it is Thursday, and nothing ever exciting happens on this day. It is a day solely created to make the weekend look good.

Before I can kick back and relax I have to study for a Chapter eight test that has way too many characters involved. They smudge together taking on new forms and wrong meanings. I finally learned the sentence format for “because” and “therefore” and now feel that I can really get away with anything. 

I also have the temptation of a kobo nearby so I could disappear into a book and never come back. I tried my hand at reading children’s books in Chinese and it’s pretty hard. I also think I might have made the small children jealous by hogging all their books.

I have to say I’m very surprised at all the second hand bookstores I've been seeing in Taipei. I think it’s a great idea to have so much knowledge accessible and the prices are really good. I remember I once bought Schindler’s List at a garage sale for $1 and I didn't know whether to be thrilled or horrified that such a great piece of literature, based on a true story, could be gained for so little.

As always my expectations were blown away by the discovery of a 24-HR bookstore. Before you think I am the ultimate geek know that it was described by the Taipei Times as being an “emporium of literature, fashion and intellectual style” often more pumping then the average Taipei discoTaiwanese people love to read, and why not at 3AM if you are having troubles sleeping? I am going to have to go see for myself but I do have some reservations. I don’t particularly like to envision stepping over sleeping bodies to find a nook too call my own.

Being a traveler it’s annoying having to haul your favorite novels around. I know that’s why they invented the e-readers, but I am still a bit of a traditionalist. I prefer paperbacks where the spine is soft and the book practically flips open by itself. I once had a book where some of the pages where printed with the ends stuck together so I literally had to take a knife and separate them individually. It was a bit strange, and felt a little like desecration, but made it into a page-turner! (do I get points for puns?).

Basically there is nothing better than a good book. In all its many forms, and languages, reading is a universal trait. I sometimes wish there were more hours in a day, or years in a lifetime, to make-up for the reading yet to be done.     

1 comment:

  1. So I guess you'd be as horrified as my students! One of the things I do, is a take a book and I rip it apart in Chapters! Then I give each student or group of students a chapter and they read it, draw the main idea and color it, and write down the characters, what happened etc. Then we have a group share!!!!! I've had a few girls even cry, I guess they weren't to impressed with my desecration of the book?!?!???!?!?!?! It is a super neat activity though! Thoughts? You can't do that with an e-reader!!!!

    ReplyDelete