Thursday, 23 August 2012

Surfing & New Eats



The last couple of days have been a whirlwind. Being my last week in Taiwan, I wanted to fit in all the places I haven’t seen yet as well as finish class with a good mark. Every day has been pretty busy and I tried some interesting new things!  


I had the chance to go surfing for the first time ever and it was fantastic. Nothing compares to having your feet in the water, stretched out on your board, waiting for the next big wave to hit. I was a slow learner and it wasn't until the 5th or 6th I was able to stand up. The real problem was I stood too close to the front of the board which would then flip over on top of me. Also the salt water was a shock to my system when I accidentally swallowed some in. I learned fast though and it was a really amazing time.



After surfing I had the chance to explore some night markets outside of Taipei.  We met up with some friends to go see a night market that is famous for its souvenirs and old city feel. There were lanterns everywhere to light the path, and the streets were narrow and crowded. The night market closed early that night so we only were able to see a tenth of all it really had to offer. We did try this treat that it’s famous, a type of cold soup with chewy chunks inside it and red beans. The name escapes me but it was my first time having it and with the some help, I was able to finish it all.

I also got up the guts this week and tried stinky tofu! Taiwan is famous for its stinky tofu which is fermented and has the most horrible smell. I have been avoiding it since I came. A part of me wanted to try it but I didn’t see the point in purposefully making my stomach upset, it can do that all on its own with no additional help from me. Eventually thought I was coerced into trying some late at night at Shida night market.

Turns out I actually liked the food, and it’s not half as bad as I imagined. The type I had was spicy and cut into pale colour squares. It didn't taste like a whole lot but the texture was a bit slippery. The hardest part of the meal was eating the pig’s blood cake, which is a mixture of sticky rice and pork blood. It didn’t look that appetizing, and when chewing, it tasted a bit mushy. Mostly I just tasted the rice and if I didn't think of the other ingredient I was fine. 

Later, I also had this special type of bread that has a chunk of cold better inside it surrounded by hot dough bun. They call it “fire and ice” because of the extreme temperatures mixed together. It was very, very sweet and I enjoyed all of it except the very middle. So much butter was concentrated in one spot, that it made it difficult to stomach down. At the same time I had gooey butter running down my fingers so I didn’t have a lot of time to contemplate my decision. I ended up giving it to a friend who swallowed it in one mouthful.





1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your adventures Berekti! Enjoy your last bit of time in this area and I'm sure you'll have a blast in the next one as well! Love you!

    ReplyDelete