Tuesday, 14 August 2012

To Say A Few Words

It seems to be that the lock on my tongue has been loosened, and I am less afraid to speak to others in mandarin now.

Maybe it's just the warm night air, and it's drowsy effect, but I was surprised by my inhibition in speaking with those around me this evening.  I actively used up all the vocabulary I knew of and half hazardously strung them together with the grammar rules I could remember. I’m pretty positive whatever actually came out of my mouth was a mess, but in my head it sounded perfect.

I also have fun speaking to those with absolutely no English skills; this is where countless evenings of charades comes in handy. 

I was able to communicate enough with those at the coin laundry machines that they didn't want to leave me alone. Every few minutes I would be interrupted from my reading by a question sprung out of nowhere. They then would patiently wait while I struggled to find the right words and actions to explain. Once my terminology was exhausted I stopped answering questions and pondered on the virtues of remaining silent to begin with.

Truly though, I’m very happy to get the chance to be able to practice the language so often. Classroom learning is useful, but I learn so much more from those around me. I’m able to pick out whole sentences now instead of just a few words which I see as a marked improvement on my listening ability. 

Also it’s hard to believe, but my last day of school is next Wednesday! I've been studying at NTNU for just under seven weeks now and I've learned how to read and write over 200 traditional characters. It's only a few, in the grand scheme of things, but compared to the 26 letters that comprise the English language it's feels like a lot. 

Luckily I still have lots of time to learn and one day (far, far into the future) I will be proficient. 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! You'll be fluent before you know it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete