Saturday, 3 August 2013

Brownie Batter


Since being back I have done all the things that I've missed out on they being primarily driving in a car for extremely long periods of time, eating home cooked meals, sleeping in a fluffy (note fluffy) bed and baking brownies.

I wouldn't say I’m an amazing baker but I, at least once, have to make brownies when I go home. This stems from a childhood love of chocolate and the realization that if I learn to bake brownies I am then entitled to eat all the brownies, you can call it the Little Red Hen syndrome.  

The old cook book wasn't hard to find, since we never throw any out and instead collect piles and piles of them, even though we make routinely maybe 10 out of the hundreds of recipes possible. I found the right page by flipping it to the most torn and ragged leaf. This special recipe is called One Bowl Brownies and I’m pretty sure it is imprinted on my heart.

I then went around trying to find all the ingredients which is hard to do when you’re in a new house. I couldn't find the cocoa powder for the life of me and really that is the prime ingredient other than a lot of brown sugar. I finally found it stuck way far away in the pantry and started baking. I was having a great time until I realized the butter I used is the same kind of butter that I had on toast the other night that tasted awful. I don’t know what the brand is but it gives the food a plastic taste and one whiff of it makes you want to avoid it forever. By then it was too late and I tasted the batter, which was a bad idea, and it tasted terrible. I was pretty much done, so I had no other choice but to continue and hope it would be hidden in the mass of the other ingredients.

By the time it was ready it smelled good, but you have five senses for a reason.

I had my brother try the first piece and he thought it was alright. I then tried it and could taste a hint of the terrible butter. I finally broke down and told them it was most likely uneatable because of the butter but no one seemed to care- I then drowned my brownie in caramel sauce which made it taste much better. This has now got me thinking that perhaps my taste buds have gone haywire, and I don’t know what to do. There is a marginal chance that I might have burned them off by all the hot water I've been drinking.     

No comments:

Post a Comment